EFTERLEVANDEGUIDEN - a collaboration between public authorities intended to make it easier for those who have lost a loved one



An income tax return must be filed for the estate in the year following the death. When you lose a life partner with whom you have cohabited, you find yourself in a new economic reality. Grief has become a part of life and support from others who have been through the same experiences can be invaluable.


The Survivor’s Guide Checklist helps you to keep track of the practical matters you need to attend to during the year after the death.

Länka till The Survivor’s Guide Checklist

Efterlevandeguiden Checklist (in English)

Efterlevandeguiden Checklist in PDF (in English) Pdf, 257.6 kB.

An adjustable Checklist according to date of death (in Swedish)

Notifying changes if you are a pensioner receiving housing supplement

As a pensioner, your income, debts and assets affect the amount of housing supplement you are entitled to. If you are already receiving housing supplement (bostadstillägg), you need to report any changes to your income, assets or expenses.

If you move abroad, you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). If you receive a survivor’s pension, you also need to contact the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten).

Notify changes to the Swedish Pensions Agency (in Swedish) External link.


Prepare a budget for your personal finances

If your financial situation has changed, it may be useful to obtain financial advice about your future economy. The Swedish Consumer Agency (Konsumentverket) has compiled useful information and guidance on private finances. The agency also has budget spreadsheets that can be adapted to your expenses and income. If this is new or difficult for you, you can always ask someone you know to help you.

Budget spreadsheet, konsumentverket.se (in Swedish) External link.

Find out how long financial support and compensation is paid

If you are receiving payments from an insurance policy or survivor’s pension, you will also have received a letter from the payer containing a decision. This decision will state how long you will receive payments and how much you will receive. If you are uncertain, you can always contact the payer.

Further information about payment periods, planning and finances

Contact the cemeteries administration regarding grave maintenance

If there is a grave that you are unable to maintain, the cemeteries administration can take on the responsibility. There are a range of services that you can purchase, including maintenance of the grave, headstone, surrounding grass and ornamentation. In Stockholm and Tranås, the local authority deals with cemetery administration within municipal boundaries. In the rest of the country, the Church of Sweden (Svenska kyrkan) is responsible.

Grave maintenance in the City of Stockholm (in Swedish) External link, opens in new window.

Grave maintenance in the City of Gothenburg (in Swedish) External link.


Are you a pensioner entitled to housing supplement?

If you are 65 years of age or over and you have a low pension, you may be entitled to housing supplement (bostadstillägg )and income support for the elderly (äldreförsörjningsstöd) from the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten). You can receive an answer immediately by calculating your own finances. It is better and quicker for you to make your own calculation first, rather than take a chance on applying and waiting for a letter.

Plan your finances with housing supplement (in Swedish)

Housing supplement for pensioners (in English) External link.

Calculate to see if you are entitled to housing supplement (in Swedish) External link.

FAQs about housing supplement (in Swedish) External link.

Contact the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) for help in calculating your entitlement External link.

Relatives may represent pensioners regarding housing supplement

If you are the relative of a survivor who is unable to manage their own finances, you have the right to represent them. At pensionsmyndigheten.se, you can access the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) online service for housing supplement (bostadstillägg) using your own Bank-ID if you are the spouse, cohabitee or child.

Apply for housing supplement or notify changes on behalf of someone else (in Swedish) External link.

Housing supplement for pensioners (in Swedish) External link.

Contact details for the Swedish Pensions Agency for help in calculating External link.

Survivor’s pension from the Swedish Pensions Agency

The payment period for survivor’s pensions varies.

  1. A child’s pension is paid until the child reaches the age of 18. This may be extended to the age of 20 if the child is studying at upper-secondary level.
  2. Adjustment pensions from the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) are paid for one year if you are under 65 years of age. In most cases, this is automatically extended if you have children
  3. In most cases, an adjustment pension from the Swedish Pensions Agency is automatically extended if you have a child.


Ask others to help you

Do not hesitate to ask for help with what feels difficult and to receive help if you are offered.

Last updated: 2022-10-18