Make a calculation of your income before applying for housing supplement
Your full financial situation will be investigated to see if you are entitled to housing supplement (bostadstillägg). It may be difficult to make this assessment yourself. If you call the Swedish Pensions Agency’s (Pensionsmyndighetens) customer services department or visit a service office, they will help you to calculate your entitlement. You can also perform your own calculation at pensionsmyndigheten.se.
Calculate your entitlement to housing supplement (in Swedish) External link.
Contact the Swedish Pensions Agency for help in calculating your entitlement External link.
How much housing supplement am I entitled to?
Your rent, housing costs, mortgage. savings and other assets all affect whether you are entitled to housing supplement (bostadstillägg) for pensioners and, if so, how much you will receive. The maximum amount is SEK 6,540 per month.
Contact the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) to find out about your entitlement. Make sure you have information about your finances and housing to hand when you get in touch.
Visit pensionsmyndigheten.se to find out if you are entitled to housing supplement (in Swedish) External link.
FAQs about housing supplement at pensionsmyndigheten.se (in Swedish) External link.
Make sure you have the following details to hand when calculating housing supplement:
- Total pretax income if you add your pension, occupational pensions and any additional income (see the payment statement on your most recent income tax declaration).
- Assets in the form of bank deposits, funds, shares, etc. or any second properties (see bank statements, annual statements, most recent income tax declaration).
- Housing costs.
- Information on your home.
- Any mortgages on your apartment or house (most recent statement of interest and loan amount).
Survivor’s pension from the Swedish Pensions Agency
- A child’s pension is paid until the child reaches the age of 18. This may be extended to the age of 20 if the child is studying at upper-secondary level.
- Adjustment pensions from the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) are paid for one year if you are under 65 years of age.
- In most cases, an adjustment pension from the Swedish Pensions Agency is automatically extended if you have a child.
Prepare a budget for your personal finances
If your financial situation has changed, it may be useful to obtain financial advice about your future economy. The Swedish Consumer Agency (Konsumentverket) has compiled useful information and guidance on private finances. The agency also has budget spreadsheets that can be adapted to your expenses and income. If this is new or difficult for you, you can always ask someone you know to help you.
The Swedish Consumer Agency (Konsumentverket) can offer support and advice on preparing a budget (in Swedish) External link.